Thursday, December 13, 2012

Zeus

I lost my buddy, my best friend, the one who truly adores me when no one else did, last week.  My lab, Zeus, would have been 12 1/2.  Hard to believe.  For about the last year and 1/2 he developed a neurological issue with his back legs.  He lost muscle mass, he lost control of what his legs would do, he needed rugs to get from room to room and couldn't climb but two steps.  I loved him no less, I adapted his environment to meet his needs.  I'ts what we do when we love something.  Over the summer, he seemed to digress a bit, it was hard for him to even use those two steps to get outside and if he got caught on tile, he went down.  He was still his loveable self, always waiting for me at the window when I got home.  He is now buried in our back yard, the place he owned.



I miss him so, who knew a heart could be so broken for a dog...but he wasn't just any dog.  I wanted to document some of the things to remember about him here, so I would never forget. 

  • He loved to sleep on the ottoman in our living room, especially if I was in the chair, so I had to buy a leather one (hair).
  • He loved to chase the quadrunner around and around while Bernie pulled the boys on the sled, then the girls...he tried so hard, but it was too much the last couple of years.  He'd just sit and watch...
  • You could tell time by Zeus, 6:30 am and 4:30 pm, as this ol boy never missed a meal!  He always let us know it was TIME!
  • He was a gentle giant, 125# at one time and he never, EVER bit anyone.  He loved everyone he met and was always happy to see you.  He thought everyone was there to see him!
  • He loved grapes, which is really a no-no for dogs, but at his size, it did not harm.
  • He loved to swim in the neighbors lake, chasing geese.  He'd swim half way out chasing them, then have an "oh $hit" moment and realize he'd better turn around or run out of gas.
  • He slept on his bed next to me for 12 years, until he couldn't climb the stairs anymore...I miss the comforting sound of his breathing next to me...or his dreaming!
  • Each time we brought a daughter home, he wasn't jealous, he was kind and gentle.  Abigail was very afraid of him, but he made it easy for her to love him.
  • He sat by the front window every.day waiting for me to come home. 
  • He loved snow. 
  • He loved ME.unconditionally.
  • I miss him so.




2 comments:

Cheri said...

Oh, Wendy. There will never be another Zeus. I'm so sorry. Sounds like you had an amazing and faithful friend.

kitchu said...

Thank you so much for always taking the time to stop by my site and say hello :) I know this post (your last I am seeing) is old, but the loss of a family member like this never leaves you. I'm a year late, but so very sorry.

Post a Comment