Friday, April 8, 2011

Visit to the SWI

Today we made our way to ZiJing's orphanage, Dongguan Children's Welfare Institute.  It wasn't a requirement but we had visited Abigail's and felt the need to have that closure for the girls.  We took an hour and 1/2 trip there and spent about 2 hours visiting with one of the assistants.  We got to visit the babies, which was very difficult. They wouldn't allow me to take any pictures inside but suffice it to say, there were many of them and they so needed loved on.  The amazing thing was our little girl, she went from crib to crib, loving on them...kisses and touches for all.  You could see how compassionate ZiJing is, she will be missed there if she was allowed to do that with any frequency.  We were moved to tears by these little angels, and Bern prayed a covering over them...This particular CWI houses approximately 800 children, most of them special needs.  That is just one city in this province; there are many other orphanages throughout China.  Sigh*

While we were there, we did take pictures outside, there is a beautiful statue of a mother and child.  I'd post pictures except that our battery died in the camera and guess who didn't pack the charger????  :(

When we got back, Bern and Zach went for a walk and found a Sony store; luckily they had my charger.  Thank God!  So now I have a charger with a China type electrical plug....Bernie promised he'd upload our boatload of pictures tonight so I can post them....I know I keep saying that....sorry.

Dinner was at Cow and Bridge tonight, its a Thai restaurant on Shamian Island.  Last night we went to a traditional Cantonese restaurant and had pigeon...yes, pigeon.  It's a local delicasy and they can have it! Actually it was small with not much meat, but we had to try...the braised pork was excellent as were the other sides we had.  We want to go back before we leave and do the hot pot in the middle of our table, with our guide...we'll need help on that one! 

2 comments:

Melinda said...

Oh it breaks my heart to hear of all of the children in need of love and a family! What a compassionate girl little Olivia is! I am saying a special prayer for the children that continue to wait.

I am so anxious to see some pictures! I hope you get some up SOON! Continued prayers for all of you!

Brenda said...

Glad to hear all is going well! Get some rest and enjoy the time you have left there. I bet oliva is anxious to come to America! You might want to buy her some manderin books that she is able to read adn a pop CD or two for when you come home. I know Sarah has been glad to have those. She is reading at a 2nd grade level now in only 4 months so I bet Olivia will surprise you at how fast she learns... Are you putting her right in school with ESL? I am praying a ton for you guys and also those kiddos you visited. Wow, 800+.....It must have been tough to walk out of there.....and so many wait...Can't wait to see pictures. No pressure Bernie!

Post a Comment