Tuesday, April 12, 2011

We've Hit The Great Wall

To quote my husband...its time to get home to our own beds, a GIANT burger (Jack, have some burger thawed cuz dad's firing up the grill no matter what time we get home) and all the comforts of home.  There is a bit of intestional "stuff" running through everyone as well (no pun intended), so looks like we will pass on the suckling pig for dinner :(   Olivia has adjusted pretty well, she finally had a bit of grieving instead of her nervous laughter and she is catching on to our English.  The hardest thing for me is when she talks in my ear in bed and expects me to answer...I feel like I am robbing her of something so special.  We are going to look for some mandarin speaking folks to help us as well as an ESL tutor for her.  She was in first grade here as best we know and she speaks Mandarin AND Cantonese, which is amazing...smart little cookie.  With her size, we could put her into first and try it or even K but I'm just not sure...we'll let the school system do their thing. 

The guys are going "across the road" later, into "NO RESERVATIONS" territory, where is Anthony Bourdain?  Not that they will eat anything...just sayin'


SISTERS!

 two things she loves...FOOD and Hair clips...oh, three...BABA too!


and speaking of FOOD, check out the white tiger swimming...he may have been hungry as well?!

3 comments:

Melinda said...

It sounds like home sweet home is calling your names! We were so ready to come home by the end of our trip! I am happy to hear that Olivia is adjusting so well! I hope she is becoming more attached to you. I am sure it will improve once you get home. We are praying for safe travels and a calm flight back to the US!

Brenda said...

Can't wait to see mission accomplished and that your home~ Take it easy on yourselves and just REST, bond and eat for a day or two...I always found jetlag returning home harder than going......

Mike and Barb said...

Okay, how have I totally MISSED that you are IN CHINA!!!! Wowzeeee!! Lots to catch up on! I'm glad things are going relatively "smooth" (is there ever a smooth?), and I just want to encourage you to go easy on yourself. It sounds like you're really hard on yourself. Give yourself time - I believe you can be a great Mom and not feel all gushy-gushy right away. And the Preferring-the-Daddy thing - I hear ya! You know I was just there a few months ago. It's hard, I know! I feel your pain, but you will get through it!
Hang in there, and enjoy your last days in China!
Barb

Post a Comment