Wednesday, January 19, 2011

The Reality of Racial Differences

Abigail learned all about Martin Luther King, Jr. from a Kindergarten perspective last week.  She came home and told me that people used to have to sit in the back of the bus if they were not white people; then she went on to tell me they had separate drinking fountains for white people and people who were not white.  I just kept nodding...mmmm...then she told me that SHE would have had to drink out of the "other" fountain because she is not white. 



She has such a clear, matter of fact, way about her; I just love this girl.  I only hope life gets easier and easier for her and other people of color, it hurts me to think of my little girl hurting one day because of thoughtless ignorant people like me.  I have so much to learn from her.  Ugh.

3 comments:

Cedar said...

I had a similar conversation with my Caucasian 7 year old recently. Fascinating how children process things. Thanks for sharing your daughter's perspective. http://joyfulmamagivesin.blogspot.com/2011/01/thats-not-fair.html

JoyfulMama at We Are Grafted In

Mike and Barb said...

A very thoughtful young lady you have!
Barb

Judi said...

I had the same thoughts as I taught that lesson to my first grade classroom this year. We brought our five year old daughter home, just last May. And I shared with them that my little girl wouldn't have been able to have done those things either. The lessons was a little bit closer this year, for the teacher! I found your blog on another one that I follow. I hope you travel soon for your little girl. She is adorable!

Post a Comment