Thursday, November 17, 2011

Thankful for Aunt Lila

Who, you ask, is Aunt Lila?  In a nutshell, she is my mom's sister.  That doesn't do justice to who she REALLY is. 

Many moons ago, when we had just gotten out of the Marine Corp and my hubby started college, we moved in with Aunt Lila, as a convenience to us and company for her.  Here we are, two plus decades later, and we are all still together. 

When we gave her the option a decade ago to stay in her house she'd lived in for 40+ years or move with us to the "country", much to our surprise (and delight), she chose the country.  Who says old folks are set in their ways?

So, she has seen us through two births, two adoptions (which we couldn't have done without her); two dogs, three cats, six chickens, two hamsters, a gecko, and many fish {all of which she has fed when we have gone on vacation}. 

She has done PILES of laundry {we get so tired of hearing "is this yours" or "whose is this"}.  She has saved my arse many times when kids needed picked up from somewhere and I was at work and she has wiped many snotty noses, bandaged many a boo boo and wiped many tears away.

What she has done for us is immeasurable and I know I don't thank her ever nearly enough .  She has seen the good, the bad and the ugly and while sometimes its been difficult having a non-traditional family, we wouldn't have had it any other way.  Who needs privacy anyway?

We have been so blessed to share our lives with Aunt Lila and for that, we are so VERY thankful.

1 comment:

SARAH said...

Our neighbor is Jewish and I told her I know a lady named Lila who is Jewish. Our neighbor claims she knows very Jewish person in the area, and asked for her last name................I HAD NO CLUE! I felt so ridiculous!

Post a Comment