Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Right out of Seinfeld - Biometric Finger Prints

Well as you may already know I like to be in control.  So when we got our appointment to be fingerprinted for September 29th I thought "no way can we wait that long".  So after asking around I decided we would just walk in and ask the folks at USCIS if they could fit us in.  So yesterday that is just what we did. 

We (the four adults in the house and I use the term adult loosely) walk in to the USCIS fingerprinting office in Cleveland yesterday around 2:30 and that is when the we fell into an episode of Seinfeld.  There are two federal employees sitting behind a counter doing absolutely nothing.  I walk up to the window and explain our appointment is not for two weeks but was wondering if they could fit us in????  The federal worker's faces just drop in disbelief and turn quite sour.  The female employee states "we don't normally do that sort of thing and you should have called first".  I replied, "I tried to call last week but could not locate a number".  She then replies "we don't give the number out because we would have too many people calling here".   WHAT, that does not make any sense I thought.  After a few minutes of deliberation she says "OK, but if anyone comes with an appointment they will go immediately to the front of the line".  This I could live with as they do have an appointment. 

So we left the window and sat down to fill out our form.  While this was going on the other federal employee gets up and goes somewhere in the back and out of sight.  We are all done with our forms and no one else is in the room but us and the lady behind the window.  She sits and looks angry at us for as long as it takes to wait for another person to show up.  A few minutes goes by and lo and behold in walks a person with an appointment.  She immediately tells us we will have to continue to wait.  Meanwhile the other staffer walks back in to take care of the appointment.  She continues to stare at us and it seems as though we may just sit there forever.  Her point has been well received but some how I can see Jerry, George and Elaine in our shoes.  Looking at each other in disbelief.  She stares, we wait, she looks angry at us and we wait.  Then the ice is broken, "OK I can take one of you now".  My husband got up and off he went and not a minute too soon as in walked another appointment a Nun. She must have been sent from God because before long the sour puss faces were gone, we rotated with the appointments and less than an hour later we were on our way with our approvals in hand. 

This was my last act of controlling the process and it felt good.  Now I am trying to figure out a way to get my I800A approval completed faster.  Maybe I will call our officer tomorrow and see how things are going.  :)

1 comment:

Cheri said...

That is hilarious! The whole phone number thing is just too bizarre.

I'm glad you are finally moving along and hopefully, your approval will be soon. I think I'd call/email my officer and let them know you went in earlier than the appointed time.

Post a Comment